The Prayer Service (Length: 15 – 20 minutes)
Modern science has shown that everything in the universe is composed of energy, and that the apparent differentiation between solids, liquids, gases, sound, and light is merely a difference in their vibratory rates. Similarly, the world's great religions state that all created things originate in the cosmic vibratory energy of Aum or Amen, the Word or Holy Ghost. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God....All things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made which was made" (John 1:1, 3).
"These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God" (Rev. 3:14). Even as sound is produced by the vibration of a running motor, so the omnipresent sound of Aum faithfully testifies to the running of the "Cosmic Motor," which upholds all life and every particle of creation through vibratory energy.
By concentration and will power we can consciously increase the body's supply of cosmic energy. That energy can be directed to any body part; or it can be released again into space through the sensitive antenna of the fingertips, to flow as a healing force to those in need — even if they are thousands of miles away. Through the great Aum vibration, we can directly contact God's omnipresent consciousness — where the illusory concepts of time and space are absent. Thus there is instant contact between the earnest request of one in need and the concentrated energy sent forth by those who are praying for others with the following method:
(Stand while performing)
With eyes closed, pray as follows:
- "Heavenly Father, Thou art omnipresent; Thou art in all Thy children; manifest Thy healing presence in their bodies." Keeping the eyes closed, briskly rub your hands together (palms facing) for ten to twenty seconds. (This motion and the one described in the next paragraph are especially effective as a means of gathering and feeling energy in the hands.) At the same time, concentrate deeply on the cosmic energy flowing into your body through the medulla oblongata and going into your arms and hands. You will feel warmth and tingling in the arms and hands as that healing energy gathers there. Do not tense; keep the body relaxed at all times.
- Now, raise your hands outstretched in front of you to about the height of the forehead, and chant Aum. Simultaneously with the chanting of Aum, gradually lower your hands in front of you until they rest at your sides. As you do so, mentally feel that the healing vibrations are flowing out of your hands to those in need of healing.
- Pray: "Heavenly Father, Thou art omnipresent; Thou art in all Thy children; manifest Thy healing presence in their minds." Rotate your hands (in a forward motion) rapidly around each other. Your hands soon will become filled with cosmic energy. Concentrate on the cosmic energy entering the medulla oblongata and flowing into the hands. Continue rotating the hands for ten to twenty seconds.
- Now, raise your hands outstretched in front of you to about the height of the forehead, and chant Aum. Slowly lower your outstretched arms, all the while visualizing the healing vibration flowing from your hands to those for whom you are praying.
- Pray: "Heavenly Father, Thou art omnipresent; Thou art in all Thy children; manifest Thy healing presence in their souls." (Repeat the technique of rubbing the hands together and chanting Aum, as described in point 1 above.)
With upraised hands, chant Aum once more, sending healing vibrations of peace and harmony to all the world.
Conducting a Prayer Service at Home
Those who are unable to join a group prayer circle may conduct a private or family prayer service at home, following the format outlined above. This may be made a part of one's regular morning or evening meditation if desired. (If possible, it is helpful to conduct prayer services always in a room, or part of a room, that is habitually used for this purpose, as this will make it easier to focus one's concentration and loving attention on God.)
Many families have found that gathering together — even inviting friends and other members of the community — to pray for others and for world peace contributes greatly to a spirit of love and harmony in the home and in the larger community.
Blessed are those who pray for others, for in so doing, they become aware of the unity of all life. We are not isolated beings, struggling alone against the forces of adversity. Our happiness is linked with the happiness of all; our highest fulfilment lies in the welfare of all. To all of you who realize this truth and give of your time and sympathy in participating in the Worldwide Prayer Circle, we extend our deep appreciation. Through such selfless service to humanity, may you ever be aware of the constant protection and all satisfying love of God.
— Yogoda Satsanga Society of India
Request for Prayers
Requests for prayers — whether for oneself or others — are always welcome, and are given immediate loving attention by the members of the Prayer Council. They may be submitted online, or by phone or letter to Yogoda Satsanga Society of India. Those whose names have been submitted are included in special morning and evening healing services for three months. They need not be present at a prayer service to benefit from its healing power.
Prayer requests are kept strictly confidential. Requests need not include a description of the problem, unless one wishes to describe it. All that is needed for the work of the Prayer Council and the Worldwide Prayer Circle is the name of the person for whom healing is desired. If details of a problem are known to individuals in a prayer circle, such details should not be discussed. Otherwise, negative mental associations may weaken the force of prayer. Instead, group members should concentrate solely on God's healing power and on a state of perfection to replace any inharmonious condition.