"Self-realization is the knowing — in body, mind,
and soul — that we are one with the omnipresence of God..."
For the last 100 years, Yogoda Satsanga Society of India (YSS) has been dedicated to carrying on the spiritual and humanitarian work of its founder, Paramahansa Yogananda, widely revered as the father of Yoga in the West.
As expressed in the Aims and Ideals formulated by Paramahansa Yogananda, the society seeks to foster a spirit of greater understanding and goodwill among the diverse peoples and religions of our global family, and to help those of all cultures and nationalities to realize and express more fully in their lives the beauty, nobility, and divinity of the human spirit.
Paramahansa Yogananda founded Yogoda Satsanga Society in 1917 to make available the universal teachings of Kriya Yoga, a sacred spiritual science originating millenniums ago in India. These nonsectarian teachings embody a complete philosophy and way of life for achieving all-round success and well-being, as well as methods of meditation for achieving life's ultimate goal — union of the soul with Spirit (God).
The teachings of Paramahansa Yogananda are made available, today as during his lifetime, through the printed Yogoda Satsanga Society Lessons. This comprehensive home-study series — studied by many thousands of people all over the world — gives instruction in all the meditation techniques of the Kriya Yoga science, as well as in the many other aspects of balanced spiritual living taught by Yoganandaji.
Today, Yogoda Satsanga Society of India (YSS) has grown to include more than 200 centres around the country. Yogoda Satsanga Society of India handles inquiries about the teachings of Sri Sri Paramahansa Yogananda from India and the neighbouring countries. If you reside outside these countries, please [Click Here]. Your request will be forwarded to Self-Realization Fellowship.
Sri Daya Mata, one of the earliest and closest disciples of Paramahansa Yogananda during her lifetime, was spiritual head and president of Yogoda Satsanga Society of India / Self-Realization Fellowship from 1955 until her passing in 2010. Sri Mrinalini Mata, another of Yogananda's closest disciples, is the current spiritual head and president of YSS/SRF. Most YSS/SRF members are men and women with responsibilities to work and family, who learn through the Yogoda Satsanga teachings how to balance their active lives with meditation. In Yogananda's teachings, they find guidance for spiritualizing marriage and family life, creating success and prosperity in business and professional endeavours, and contributing in a meaningful and serviceful way to their community, nation, and the world at large.
In accord with its founder’s wishes, the work of Yogoda Satsanga Society is guided by the monastic order that Paramahansaji established along the lines of the ancient swami tradition of India. The monks of YSS take formal vows of renunciation; and are responsible for serving the spiritual needs of Yogoda Satsanga members and friends.
Among the many activities and services of Yogoda Satsanga Society of India in the Indian subcontinent are:
- Publishing the writings, lectures, and recorded talks of Paramahansa Yogananda and his monastic disciples
- Operating ashrams, retreats, and meditation centres where people from all walks of life can come together in a spirit of community and fellowship
- A quarterly magazine, Yogoda Satsanga, devoted to healing of body, mind, and soul
- Spiritual training of monks in the YSS monastic communities
- Conducting lecture tours and classes on Paramahansa Yogananda's Kriya Yoga teachings, including annual weeklong Convocation [Sangams]
- Programmes on meditation and spiritual living for children
- Offering individual spiritual guidance by letter, telephone, and in person
- Supporting various charitable relief and welfare activities
- Guiding the work of the Worldwide Prayer Circle, a network of groups and individuals dedicated to praying for those in need of physical, mental, or spiritual aid; and for world peace and harmony