Livestream Events for Centennial Weekend, September 19-20
We are delighted to inform you of a special livestreamed event that took place to commemorate the centennial of Self-Realization Fellowship, founded by Paramahansa Yogananda in 1920. (In India and neighbouring countries, Paramahansaji’s work is known as Yogoda Satsanga Society of India, which Paramahansaji founded in 1917.)
This event marks the actual date when Paramahansa Yogananda first arrived in the West from his native India, setting foot on American soil in Boston, Massachusetts, on September 19, 1920. In that same year he would found Self-Realization Fellowship, to disseminate his Kriya Yoga teachings worldwide. He would later come to be known as the “father of Yoga in the West,” introducing millions of truth seekers to the timeless science of Kriya Yoga.
The livestream took place Saturday, September 19, 7:30 – 9:00 p.m. (IST) and included:
- A ceremony conducted by Self-Realization Fellowship sannyasis at Piers Park — where the steamship The City of Sparta carrying the young swami sailed into Boston’s Harbour exactly 100 years ago;
- Followed by a special talk from the Self-Realization Fellowship International Headquarters in Los Angeles by Swami Chidananda Giri, president and spiritual head of Yogoda Satsanga Society of India/Self-Realization Fellowship.
24-Hour Centennial Meditation — September 19 – 20
A 24-hour meditation was conducted in honour and celebration of the centennial of Paramahansa Yogananda’s arrival in America and the founding of SRF in 1920. Swami Chidananda Giri, president and spiritual head of YSS/SRF, conducted the first hour of this special long meditation. The remaining portion was led by senior YSS and SRF sannyasis.
- Saturday, September 19, 10:30 p.m. – Sunday, September 20, 10:30 p.m. (IST)
In addition to periods of silence, the meditation service included:
- Practice of the YSS/SRF Energization Exercises
- Devotional chanting
- Prayer for those in need and for greater world peace and harmony
- Practice of Paramahansa Yogananda’s yoga technique for sending healing energy to others and vibrations of peace and harmony for the benefit or our entire world
January 5, 2020
View a special livestreamed event inaugurating the centennial of Paramahansa Yogananda’s arriving in America and founding Self-Realization Fellowship to disseminate the teachings of Kriya Yoga worldwide. Taking place on the birth anniversary of Sri Yogananda, this celebration was led by YSS/SRF President Swami Chidanandaji with SRF monastics at the SRF International Headquarters in Los Angeles.